Error 404: Phone not found

When my dad lost his phone, I thought that I would write about it as I was in search of a topic. But I couldn't find anything substantial in that episode to write about. Apart from the fact that he called me up in the afternoon to inform me, saying, "The phone has run." I was clueless. 

I thought he was talking about the courier guy who must have brought his new phone, that I had ordered online for him to give him a surprise, but has now returned due to some unknown reason. I tried to act innocent and not spill the beans immediately. Thankfully, he was still unaware of 'it' and not-so-thankfully broke the news of his phone getting lost. I advised him and cut the call.

After getting all the necessary things done in the evening: lodging the FIR and getting the new SIM with the same old contact number issued etc, (I should cut down the steps, for it's not a tutorial blog on 'Steps to follow after losing your phone') we reached home. 



And within an hour, we got a call from dad's number on my mom's phone. "I'm calling," dad announced. I found this sentence very funny as he handed over the phone to me. Probably, he was finding it weird to talk to himself

After the call ended, my father and I tied up our laces to get back the lost phone as we were overhearing the instructions from my mom and my sister as the founder had slightly demanded some prize. They were telling us to be alert and careful, to not to award a big sum of money.

When we left home, my dad asked me, "What do you think? How much should we give it to him as an award for honesty?" I was confused as I had a different amount in my mind. But I found an affirmation in my dad's voice upon hearing it. 

When we were coming back after taking the phone, I asked dad, "What would we tell them? Will we tell them the truth? Or shall we lie?" 
He said, "We'll tell them."
"But dad, we'll get chided for deviating from the price decided by them," my fear was genuine, howsoever childish it may sound.

Explanation: We're quite a big family. So when one of us indulges in wrongdoing, then that person is bound to listen for it meekly. It might not be as strict and harsh as I'm making it sound like, but even a few words coming from each one sums up to be a paragraph in totality. And I had seen that being done to others earlier, so I sort-of dreaded if it happened to me. 

And that day I realised how gutsy is my father. He had been through that phase for umpteen times, but he still chose to stand by the truth. I remembered how on multiple occasions he could've escaped that session by simply not disclosing the actual version of the things.
But I really salute to his firmness of not lying. Had I been in his place I would have lied outright due to the fear of potential chiding it could have invited. My earlier post 'Jhuth bolna paap hai' and 'Jhuth bolna Double paap hai' stand evidence to this characteristic of mine. 

PS It's the same phone that I insulted in my earlier post. All this could've happened to make us realise its value. Although, it still doesn't have much value now as well, except for its new owner - my mom (who felt most saddened when it was out on a lost track). 
For some mysterious reasons, she is the only one who finds it easy to operate and is not willing to get a new phone, not even as a gift. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Growing forgetfulness

Hey Google