In the world of Liars

Serial liar

I have this habit of lying to kids. And this is not the worse part. I even forget about telling them the truths after lying.

Once I fooled my niece that the printed coffee mug in our house had the picture of her mother/my sister on it. Later on, I forgot telling her that it wasn't her mother on the mug, but me.
Next time, when milk was served to me in that mug, she cheered, 'See, that's my mom on it.' 
I was like, "No beta. That's me." 
She again says, 'No, it's my mumma.'
I thought she was getting confused between the siblings as her mother and my face resembles quite A LOT. It was then that my sibling reminded me of how I had told the kid that forgotten lie.


I don't remember this one in detail. (But I do trust my writing skills that even if I don't remember I can cook up stories.) Still I have this saving grace in the form of reading-out-loud partner (who is simultaneously reading this blogpost as I write - BLOG LIVE kinda) for he is one of the characters in the upcoming anecdote, who will surely help me remember out the reality. (He has gone to search for the meaning of the last difficult word i.e. anecdote).

I once told my nephew that when I was a kid I didn't know how to laugh. He was unbelieving at first. To make him believe, I made up stories of how my parents had to take me to a doctor to teach me how to laugh. 
"But emotions are natural, you don't need to learn to emote," he argued. 
I don't remember the dialogues any further. But what I remember is that when trying to fall asleep at night, he asked his mother, "Mom, did Nidhi really didn't know how to laugh?" Mothers being mothers. Instead of playing the sisterly role, she chose motherhood and brought her kid out of the 'liedom' and contradicted my statement.

Of course, he confronted me later, "You knew how to laugh in childhood" and I obviously denied it. Chapter closed. 

Yet the other day, we were watching our old photo albums (yeah the camera roll printed ones), he saw me smiling in one of the photos and pointed it out right away. He came with evidence. I had to admit.

Now that he has reached a sensible age or call it he has known me for so long, he doesn't believe my lies anymore. But we still find joy in such stupidly talks. 

A few weeks back, when he came back from playing, I think I had some ointment applied in my mouth or it could also have been a stupid idea only a slightly crack mind can suggest, that I refused to part my lips and behaved as if I actually am not able to open my mouth.

He was smiling ear to ear on coming across such a false act. He said, "Don't worry. I'll help you out, let me part them for you." I again acted that see I'm trying to speak something, but the mouth is just not opening. If he tried to come closer, I would so-called cry in pain. Unfortunately, it was dinner time and my mother was nudging me to have dinner on time. I had to extend my lie even to her. Alas! How long could the play last? When I went to the kitchen I spoke a few words to my mom in a discreet voice. He heard them, but actually didn't see me speaking. That day he had hard time to prove the truth already known to both of us 

As they say, it's easier to awaken the sleeping person, but what do with a person who is just acting to sleep. I know It's not easy to unfold a lie, but the case is lost when the liar is smiling, knowing that the other person knows the truth but continues to lie.

Writer's note: Help me choose the better title. The one that has been placed in actual title or the one that enjoys the first line of this post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Of food and meal choices

Cricket diaries