Ghostly affairs - Part 2

Remember the last time you woke up in the middle of the night because of a scary dream? 

That's the time you feel the bliss of having company of your closed ones. But I guess we all figure out one way or another to tackle midnight fears.

I can easily relive the childhood memories of my dreadful days (and nights). Whenever I thrillingly watched a horror movie or a show, the night ahead would be the longest possibe for me and whosoever played my partner in bed. Because I felt that the ghost is going to attack me from behind, right at my back. So, I would keep getting closer to anyone next to me instinctively. 

My sibling had a really tough time one night. It was mild winter and she still felt extraordinarily-hot because of unasked for warmth coming from me. It was only at dawn that I felt a bit of relief as the chants of a religious procession started which were soothing to my soul. I could sleep peacefully only then. 

Such a fearful kid I used to be that if my siblings were watching something on the TV, I would deliberately be in the other room, yet complaining to my mom that I can still overhear the scary dialogues. "Please ask them to switch the channel," I would plead.

Or when I played outdoors till late in the evening, returning back to home in dark, was a challenge in itself. I would speedily climb up the stairs, as if I progressed even a bit slower, the ghost would be able to catch me instantly. In my mind, each day I was able to escape its grasp just by fractions.

In fact, whenever I was in any dark place alone, I would chant the name of god hurriedly. In my mind, I imagined the speed of the ghosts running away was directly proportional to the speed at which I recited almighty's name. 

Having grown up, getting hold of my fears, I believe I'm a little better off than my siblings. In fact, I've developed this habit of walking in dark at night. (No, I'm not talking about sleepwalking.) It's just that if I need to use the washroom at night, till the time I turn the light of washroom on, I walk in complete dark. 

Alert: Twist upcoming.

In my house, before you enter the washroom, there is one turn that you have to take. And that is the place where I always, always remember face of the ghost as shown in the movie Insidious, imagining her to be standing right in front of me. The mindset is that it won't be able to do anything to me, after I enter the washroom. Initially it used to be a scaring memory, now I've made my peace with its company. Just like the character in the movie 'The beautiful mind' accepts his imaginary friend. It is like a companion now, but I've become indifferent to it.

No, I'm not haunted, but I guess I matured. I've realised it is only the mind which has the power to scare us and if we manage to get control of it, then all of the fears start fading away.

Fun fact: All of us are aware of the 'Portrait' mode in our phone cameras (and it must be there in professional cameras too, else why are they called professional if they can't even incorporate a feature made available in a silly smartphone). Once we went to a hilly station for a vacation. A selfie was clicked of our group having more than 6 people. All others were clicked clearly, only my face was blurred. Even though it wasn't in portrait mode. 

Irresistibly, one of them touched my face to check if I was a ghost. And her hand actually passed through my skin. 

Hoo-ha-ha-ha



Just in case, you would like to find muse in reading part 1. Click here. Let me warn you in advance. This is no click-bait and that no connection with part 1 is mandatory as these are not interlinked. 

I don't know why in my mind it sounded like a warning given on medicines. 'SCHEDULE H DRUG',  'OVERDOSAGE MAY BE INJURIOUS TO HEALTH'.

*Signing my mind off or it will keep blabbering for it has found its writing voice after a long time.*


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Growing forgetfulness

Hey Google