When you belong to two cities...


By the time you reach this post, I would've hit a century of posts on this blog. A certain sense of pressure started to prevail on me upon disclosing this fact because jubilee(s) are expected to be special. I'll leave that up to you while I try to behave normally by not trying so hard to please. Rather I'll tell about what's been the hot topic in my life these days. 

It has been 3 years that I'm shuttling between 2 cities day in and day out. I'm not sure if this chapter is ending now but it seems like ending at the moment, so all the good (and bad) old memories started flashing in my mind.

I am writing this rough draft of the post on the very date on which my connection to this second city came into existence. Exactly 3 years ago, I got my posting orders.

You're always in a dilemma that if you really belong there or not. 

In my case, I never read local editions of the newspaper of either of the cities, purely because of disinterest. Any developments and incidents happening in and around my hometown wouldn't affect me much as I spent most of my conscious time in my work city. Like, if new pathways are being made on the city roads I'll be least bothered for I don't get to travel on them. If a new board is installed at some junctions, providing useful information like AQI or speed of the vehicle etc. I would be as unaware as an outsider because I get to see them only once in a while. 

Contrarily, despite living in another city for good 8-10 hours, I couldn't find myself really belonging to that city. The fact that I didn't live geographically in the streets of that city or being unfamiliar to the names of popular (and not-so-popular) areas of the city didn't let me strike a chord. 

Another thing that I do is I avoid customs and ceremonies of both the cities by saying I belong to another one. "We don't perform them there," can be an easy way to sneak out. Like, if the local people place higher importance to a certain fair, I can take away that glory by saying we have plenty of them in my other city. Similarly, I might not get indulged in those activities what the people of another city value. 

That said, there is a sense of belonging that you feel no matter how hard you try and bash the second city. I got to know that a famous physician in my hometown had its roots in my work city.

How beautifully things are intertwined!

I keep trying to find the brands that I'm accustomed to since childhood, not because I'm fond of their offerings or quality, but just to get things a little more into my perspective.

It has happened to me for more than once that I got starry-eyed on spotting a food brand in my hometown which is quite famous in my work city. I must admit the people of that city really vouch for food (or taste to be specific) and would go the extra mile to have food at places famous for serving a particular food, that too at a very reasonable price; not paying heed if it is a small stall or a restaurant. 

Taking advantage of this or say due to lack of knowledge, I've to rely upon my colleagues for deciding the menu of the party. There are least inputs from my side.


(Would it impact my image if I say that now I would be at backfoot if you ask me where to order for food in my hometown as well?) There is some unsaid security in being stupid. You don't have many expectations to deal with. You're as free as JIO was in its initial days. 

Do I need to say there are language differences between places? That is an already established fact. So, whenever I hear a new word, I come back home and ask my parents if they know the meaning of so-and-so word. Most of the times, they don't. Lexicons are area-specific also. 

Once, it so happened that my colleague was telling me to prepare some data. I got the point, but he was asking me to prepare the lists in a certain way. On asking him the meaning of that particular word, I understood that he meant making 'separate' lists.


There are some drawbacks also. I didn't get my postcard delivered (on which I've written a specially dedicated post also) due to address issues. Rules differ in different places. 

Also, you remain confused about your location. I've told it earlier also that I ask for a ticket to my hometown while boarding the bus from hometown only. 

Similarly, when I get down from our vehicle I bid bye to dad when I leave for work, but sometimes in absent-mindedness, I utter bye even when dad takes me back to home.

But in this journey, one learns a lot many things, has a generous amount of time to spend with oneself, gets an opportunity to meet and interact with new people,  have endless conversations and most importantly to make contacts. 

I would conclude by saying it's better to remember map by actually visiting the places in it rather than cramming it through pictures and names. Like they say pictorial memory is the best way to grasp. 


Writer's note: Isn't it evident from the length of this post that how much have I got to share? Had I not been in this situation, I wouldn't have experienced all these things and thus left with one-less-post to write about. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Of food and meal choices

Cricket diaries