Power of mind


Has it ever happened to you that you didn't indulge in a particular activity because for long you have been claiming to be not doing it? Sometimes we start behaving in a specific way because we have been telling others that we act like that always, irrespective of the fact that we want to turn the tables.

Illusory truth effect started ringing in my mind while I was writing this, which says that false information seems to be true due to repeated exposure.

For instance, there are people who say, "We don't have the habit of clicking many pictures." They may deny it even if someone else asks them to get clicked, although in one corner of their heart they do want to be clicked.

Coming upon me, 'I don't take siesta' is one of the statements that I take pride in. But even if I'll be feeling sleepy on any given afternoon, I don't think I'll be able to catch my daytime nap because of the claims that I've been openly and proudly claiming.

On the other hand, waking up early in the morning is a good habit to inculcate which can have plenty of health benefits along with enhancement in the availability of productivity time. And what to say about the serenity that the early morning offers. Despite being aware of these facts, I still cannot gather myself to get out of bed. I know a little practice of following the daily timetable would help me get rid of the cause and set my biological clock accordingly, but who wants to get rid of it anyway. Not until I'm sane and free.


In order to influence someone, to have a real impact on them, initially, we must get that person to develop some admiration towards us, only then will they listen to your opinions with an open mindset. And it is in this scenario mostly that they even agree upon something that they have been opposing for so long.

You can't just go around and start talking supportively upon things that they call bullshit. Your image in the eyes of that person plays a huge factor in how effective your words would be. It so happens sometimes that even if you don't actually feel much about the concern, but because a highly influential person is saying it, we get inclined to that idea.

Consider this: It is not the joke that is funny, but the person who is cracking it is. Then, there are other times when we tend to snatch the glory that a joke deserves because it has been told by a person whom we consider very boring.
Of course, this rule of laughableness of the joke doesn't apply amongst the people who are meeting for the first time because none of them has any influence on the other.

Similarly, you will find unmatchable support to an idea promoted by a particularly favourite person. I know a group of people who are associated with one single person. All of them can be said to be under his certain influence, but upon talking to them individually, I studied (as per my limited ability to do so) that they didn't root for the cause as much. Their opinions were not adamant as they appeared to be initially, but collectively they were quite a force. Maybe that's what is called the power of unity.

When I conversed with their supposed 'head', even I didn't find his earlier 'blood boiling' talks much provoking then; in fact, he had a quality of attracting masses through his content. Thankfully, sanity prevailed and led me to shed my preconceived notion of him.
Do I need to reveal that deep down I still believe that it was only his articulation skills that worked and that he tended to be evil in certain situations?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Of food and meal choices

Cricket diaries