Living in another city!!

What did I promise in my last blog? That I’ll elaborate upon… Wait, let me check. About I leaving this city and coming back to it.

So, the story goes like:

I got a job and had a fair idea that I’ll be posted in a city about 60 kilometers-or-so from my city. Having never been in out-of-home environment (hostels etc,) I was excited at the thought of it, at the thought of leaving your home and being upon yourself in a relatively less restricted environment with an opportunity to gain new experiences in a new city. (My people are not at all strict; it was just an excitement for no solid reason whatsoever.)

Since it is just 60 KMs, going up and down is not that big a deal, only that you’ll take time to get habitual to the new routine. I did it for a few days (and when I say a few days, I mean it). I started looking out for PG rooms, making other local people helping me out in this situation. It was an instant decision, not even a fortnight had passed that I shifted to the PG. Maybe the decision was also because of the very idea of wasting spending 4 hours of your life in going to and fro from one place to another. It seemed like that after doing an 8-hour job and 3+ hours of travelling, I was going back to home to just have a meal and sleep.

After shifting to a PG room, I explored the new place, within a span of 1 week. (No, I’m not gonna disclose the name of the place as it will not be good on my part to bash a place, that too my Karambhoomi - the workplace, that’s a different thing if your mind works way too fast to guess it on its own).  There wasn’t much to see there. Half of the things there were under construction. And out of the few that I saw, some were justifiably famous while what to say about the others.

So, in a way, I was done with the sightseeing part within a week, left with nothing else to do in a strange city. Plus the fact - that most of my colleagues there were local - played out as a fueling factor to make me miss my family people. (Remember: I visited my family every weekend, but still.)

You don’t realise the worth of a thing until it goes out of your hands. That homely feel, the familiar names of places, the joy of eating the familiar food of familiar taste with your family. All of this adds up to something you shouldn’t be missing if you can manage to do all those things.

The moment I realised it, I came dashing down to my city, the moment I got the offer of carpool at a perfect timing - Beginning of the month: when you have to pay your rent.
I can’t completely ignore the importance of this one month of my life. It taught me a lot. I learnt the value of so many things. Literally and metaphorically; the value of the environment where you’ve lived since childhood, and value of material things or say expenses, like milk etc.

And not to forget: I learnt to sleep all alone in a completely dark room with no lights, no one to talk to and share your room with ‘without being afraid’. (The first night that I was to sleep alone, I did it with all the lights on and the fun fact is that the light didn’t disturb me in any way; I was laughed upon by some on the 'lights-on-sleep' part. The next day I dared to sleep in dark and came out as a victor). My siblings and mom are so impressed with me on this one. I still wonder if my siblings can sleep all alone in a dark room. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Of food and meal choices

Cricket diaries