Un(der)-Employment

I planned to write this post at the last year’s end or this year’s beginning but some things needed to be done before I wrote this one.

While the last post showed the darker side of my lifecycle, here’s the one which points out several systems that prevails in this country called India. 

‘What has happened to her? From talking about here-and-there stuff, why has she moved to the darker side now?’

 If this is what you are thinking, never mind I’ll switch back to my old silly self. It’s just that I’ve been holding on to this sort of stuff for too long and thought of finally penning them down.

Sometimes, I wonder if it has got something to do with the education imparting system where the theoretical part is stressed more than the practical/result oriented part.  You may find a graduate of a field with almost zilch knowledge of the field level work. It makes me feel like the prevailing system is a mess, where the studies are harder as compared to foreign nations but the success level is lower.



I don’t know why India is lacking so much in education and employment sector. Either it may be due to the bursting level of population or it may be due to the poor leadership. Or rather it is the mix of both of these deadly factors that is leading to the surging level of unemployment.

If you are going to counter it with the argument that many people are getting employment, I would say if not unemployment, then under-employment is the constant phenomenon of the Indian economy. Trust me, where I’m working today, there hardly are any people who are not post-graduates or haven’t done any add- on-course or so, despite this the work they perform is below their skill/capability/educational degree(s) level. 


Illustratively speaking, there was this conductor who was justifying his decision to work as a conductor. “I’ve already tried my luck in the Peon’s post. Even that didn’t work out. When no other job is there, I thought of doing the job of a conductor.” And by the way of his talking, one could've told that he is a graduate or diploma holder or something like that.

Talking about the process of securing a job, you are expected to cram all the information around like a parrot (for scoring in GK section), you are expected to answer arithmetical questions as soon as you hear them so that you are faster than a calculator (for scoring in Mathematics section), and then your general aptitude is tested to such an extent that you are made to realise that acquiring ‘general’ intelligence level is not a cakewalk. They would judge you on all these parameters, that too at such difficulty level, which they don’t even require for a job that they want to get done later on.

Cutting short, you are expected to perform like a ‘robo’ who should be having tons and loads of knowledge feeded into your brains which reminds me of the Dexter of ‘The Dexter’s Laboratory’. And at the end of it, you are offered a 9 to 5 job where you have to slog for petty remunerations.

All said and done, I think I have an average IQ level but still, I find it so difficult to deal in this world and scared that I may not be able to do it, I wonder how not-so-goods manage to be happy. Perhaps that is why one of my fears is being dull.

Sincerely,
A tired Job seeker (That I ‘was’) 

But, still, there are many in the queue desperately seeking a job who need to be lifted out from the sinking boat of employment.

PS Being an Indian, it’s my birthright to pinpoint the anomalies of this nation and frustratingly concluding it with “This is India”.


PPS Whatever and howsoever it is, all respect to INDIA; for I’ve still chosen to reside here and didn’t opt to move out to some foreign land. (That is a different thing if at one point of time I thought of doing that as well.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Growing forgetfulness

Hey Google