To: Women and Girls

Coming from a girl who didn’t really face much harsher things but really felt it happening around; This post is not going to enlist the atrocities against women for enough has been and is being written about it already but it is a mere dedication to the gender I belong to.

I’m not really a fan of this gender because …. well, I don’t know why. Probably because the other gender people deal with things in a better way - be it the humour, the stress/worries, or jealousy (or say the absence of it). But the vulnerable position of women made me write this.


Once I was in a public space waiting for something. On seeing a women in a jersey of police passing by us, a women remarked, “Women don’t look good in this uniform, right?” awaiting my approval/nod. At first I didn’t really pay attention to what she said and nodded as you do when you’re listening to a stranger inattentively but as soon as I realised what she said I rejected her viewpoint and her reply was, “Oh, they look good! You may be right, it doesn’t matter who is into which profession, regardless of gender.”

In a similar incident, when my mom saw a traffic policewoman she was delighted by heart saying things are changing for the good, women are getting equal opportunities of getting into the profession dominated mostly by men.


In an initiative by Chandigarh Transport Undertaking, it recruited women conductors. As obvious it received mixed response where on one side people were criticising the decision and terming it ‘unsafe’ (irrespective of the training being imparted to them for their safety) and on the other side people being excited to see a women conductor.


So many incidents of ‘women at workplace’ I would say to the people who criticise women in one or another profession or those who don’t want their daughter-in-law to be working, next time when you will be standing in a queue for paying your bills or collecting your items etc and if you see a woman at that counter just refuse to get your purpose served by her and wait and wait till the time they don’t hire a man so that your regressive thinking can take a boost. You don’t have any right to avail service provided by her if you can’t support her.

Here's a link to a must watch web series:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NgvxN9RJSg&t=9s
It's a little old so pardon me if you've already seen it.


Not against any specific religion, but even in bible as a punishment to Adam and Eve, God says that from the easy lives they lived, they would now have to lead difficult lives where Adam - the man would go out and work hard and sweat it out the whole day and Eve - the woman would have to go through the pain of childbirth. If we see the situation of today, women as well go out and work hard/sweat it out but they are the ones who are bearing the brunt more. (Probably because Eve initiated eating the forbidden fruit)

But yes, god, in general, is unfair. No matter howsoever modern we become and technologies develop, the permanent hindrance in the careers of women is the natural birth process. World is changing, god must change its system and methods. (If only he is reading this post)

Don’t know if it still happens, but when I used to be in school I’ve seen that some of my girl friends were studying in not-so-esteemed-schools while their brothers were sent to well-off schools. At that time, I didn’t understood the depth of it but now I do.


Too many serious concerns, for a little vibe of happiness:
Once a woman (in her 40s or 50s) was riding a bike and just by chance I noticed the facial expression a guy gave his friend which was of “Woah”. This is the case every time you see a girl riding a bullet or a jeep, most of the heads would turn and take note of it; there’s some strange sense of happiness.


Another case which I can’t understand is when a girl has covered her mouth with the dupatta and just her eyes visible why do people (mostly men) stare at her then - you can’t be checking her out, you can’t be trying to identify her as if trying to remember you’ve seen her somewhere; may be they find the eyes too influential that they can’t take their eyes off them.


Don't know if I over-analyzed things:
I don't know why but every girl has, once or so in her life, addressed herself as if she were a boy "Main nhi AAYUNGA" (instead of AAYUNGI) and some even love talking like that . May be it's because of the hidden desire to be a guy or the status being given to boys of the society.....
Or it's just a way of talking and I'm being that picky person who picks and pin points each action.

On an end note, I would say that yes I’m a feminist (which means men and women on ‘equal’ footing and not women above men which a lot of people construe its meaning to be) but at the same time I disagree with the statements being made “Why are women fighting to be equal? They are superior to them.” Otherwise, I think it’ll lead to the days where we’ll be fighting for ‘masculism’ or something like that.


PS Irrelevant fact: Each girl has only one serial that she watches because it is different from others. But I don’t watch any except………

Comments

  1. Very nice��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. :) Can I know your name? Or it was deliberately anonymous?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Of food and meal choices

Cricket diaries