5 Movies which surprised me - Pleasantly!

One day, I was reading some interview of a film director who was saying that it is a task to cut out segments of a film to make it an eye catching and interesting trailer.It deeply affects the decision of people whether they would to go to the hall and pay for it or….


So, here is my list of 5 movies of which content and quality came as a surprise to me. I had zero hopes pinned down on them but you never know. (And they are not in chronological order but in the surprise level.)


1. Bahubali

It deserves to be on top of this list. I distinctly remember whenever its trailer used to play on the T.V. how swiftly my fingers would move to the remote to change the channel to some bearable content. It was only after I got a copy of it from my cousin who strongly recommended it, besides the full-page-length articles devoted to the praise of the film that I decided to watch the movie. 

(Actually, it was after when I was left with no other option but to watch it.) By the end of the film, I was accompanied by the whole of my family. And when the film ended it left us all of us wondering on THE QUESTION. Did I tell you that I got another song in my playlist/watchlist which has been quite under-rated “Manohari”?

PS I know its sequel will not be as successful as this part is, as the longer the suspense is kept the lesser the revelation satisfies.

2. Kapoor and Sons

I must say it was a badly presented trailer that let my expectations tank. Some scenes shot in darkness, that old ‘chull’ song representing ‘lack of creativity’ and some negative vibes coming out of the noisy-fight-spirited trailer. While most of the people around liked the trailer I was opposed to their views. 

To convince myself, I saw the movie. Soon I joined their club; I realised that it was the same fight scenes, which I disliked in the trailer, that led me to like the movie later on. The film could be related to some real life incidents (barring few over-the-board scenes.)

3. Go Goa Gone

(You don’t need to facepalm; I’m not much of a Hollywood movies buff, so it was a new concept for me)

Quite an old movie? Still makes it to the list. I still watch some parts of it to get the funny bone tickled. Initially, I just liked one part of the film and that was the ‘Khoon choos le’ song. But it was on the day that I decided to have a go at it when I was listening to FM that the RJ reviewed the movie and termed it better as per the Bollywood scenario and gave a brief introduction to the plot. Additionally, it was the movie which helped me in recognising Vir Das.




4. Saala Khadoos

My recognition power is so poor that I couldn’t even recognise that it is R. Madhavan who played the lead in this movie. It was only at the time of its promotional events that I saw him giving interviews describing his preparations for the role that I got to know it was him. 

Personally speaking, I would rate it above Mary Kom (the movie). I don’t know if it is the star cast or due to the fact that Mary Kom is a biopic of an inspiring sportswoman that it fared better critically as well as commercially, but I liked Saala Khadoos more. Under-rated things do wonders.

5. Holiday

And when I say Holiday I mean Holiday, Baby, Gabbar is Back, Special 26 (to some extent), Rowdy Rathore (just a little percentage of it) and Airlift. Actually, not airlift, I was highly hopeful of this movie from Day 1 itself. In fact, I didn’t know that Gabbar is back is a movie. I thought it was some tribute to Sholay; not my fault they didn’t publicise it much except for the song ’Teri Meri Kahaani.’

Now that Rustom’s trailer are out I’m not going to repeat my old mistakes. Gearing up for it!

PS It might come across to you that I’m die hard Akshay Kumar fan BUT I’M NOT.


6. Ambarsariya

I took this movie for some action-revenge kind of movie. I was not at all looking forward to watching it but given my sibling’s Diljit-mania she made me watch it. It was a typical Ambarsari movie with the accent of the city thrown in in every sentence. 
I would have rated the movie average or even below if not for the twist at the end; the name revelation one. It was an average flick trying to create suspense but then going back to the comedy genre again. But yes it was far above my expectations.


You may not (or maybe) have realised that this list extended to number 6 (Badlapur is also in this list but this post is going on for too long that I am winding it up now) though it was meant to be a top 5 list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Of food and meal choices

Cricket diaries