Fan Girl - I used to be


Fans are so devoted to their icons that even the littlest of their deeds get over the heads of their fans; leaving them in complete awe of them. (Rajinikanth is worshipped as God for his down-to-earth nature and by no means I'm saying that he should be or shouldn't be worshipped. This just crossed my mind on reading the word 'devoted'.)

One such incident which comes to my mind just as I write this is when a few days back my sibling said, “I’ve started liking him even more now, not only on his professional front but personal as well.”

“What has he done now?” I asked.

She directed me to open the so-and-so page of the newspaper and read the relevant news item. I read it in whole and wondered if I have read the wrong news. I asked her the same.

She said, “Yeah! I meant this only. Don’t you think he is such a gentleman?” and added a few more lines displaying that she is in complete awe of him.

Before you judge me, let me say my bit. Yeah, he might have said the right thing, he might have done it wholeheartedly and meant nothing more or less. But the reaction it invited from his fans was just over the board, exaggerated.


The second thing about these fans is that they are not fair at all, just like I said in the previous post. A few months back, Salman got acquitted by the high court of his controversial hit-and-run-case. The next day newspapers were flashing it on their front pages.

In one corner, the comments of the public were given; divided into two lots: Thumbs up and Thumbs down. While one can understand the thumbs down to the court verdict (as it is the opinion which people should have), the thumbs up views were totally biased.

I clearly remember a few of the comments which said “I think it is fair that Salman has been acquitted. He has suffered a lot in these 13 years;” “The number of times he had to move in and out of the court” and……. What else can you expect?



Similarly, in some other reality show (I know you would be facepalming at this, given the fact that they are not actually the ‘reality’ shows), there was one irritating and unbearable contestant, probably surviving in the show due to the looks factor and thus managing to get the support of the people. Not seeing how good/bad a person is, people just support blindly.


Another thing to say is - In a house, two people cannot support (or be a fan of) one person. I remember when I followed the footsteps of my sibling to be a fan of the same person that she used to be of. After a few months, she developed a hatred towards the same person; primarily because of my fanatic behaviour. 

Now, whomsoever she is a fan of, I automatically start disliking that person, given her over-enthusiasm, gushing over their little actions and over-praising-them behaviour.


Bidding note: A few weeks ago, a person was being interviewed on some TV channel. When I stepped into the room, I heard a familiar voice coming from the TV and I was welcomed with smiling faces of my siblings who were watching the TV. I turned to see what’s going on and saw the face which I USED TO be a fan of. I couldn’t help it, but say, “What?”

It has been rightly said,
“Life is like writing with a pen. You can cross out your past but you can't erase it.” ~ E.B. White

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Growing forgetfulness

Hey Google