Dear Tough Subjects :(

When asked, “What would you prefer - Objective Type Paper or Subjective Type Paper?” the answer for the most of the people is the Objective type. Subjective is something people find it tough as it relates to describing things, sharing your views on a particular subject.

Encounter with various subjects starts from the stage of going to the school and continues for long afterwards. Initially a choice subject, some subjects later on turn into nightmares. I have some strange experiences with several subjects some good, some bad ….and some not to talk about. (I know I couldn’t kick off this post with worse beginning)


Let me start with the most-afraid-of subject MATHEMATICS.

Some people just run away from this subject from the very beginning. But in my case, I liked it for most of the time or rather a whole of the time, except for the last year of my journey with mathematics. In that period of one year only, it developed enough hatred in me for mathematics to have enough for the rest of life. I used to find logic in it, but in that year, for every question different formula - different method for each question was to be used which would leave me bewildered.


Social Studies (to be specific History) - A subject which has always led to a downfall in my overall grades. I couldn’t memorise the events of numerous battles fought in the past, in which year they were fought, various movements led in the past or the difficult names of reigning kings. When I am writing this, one counter statement which is coming to my mind is that ‘People, generally, do something big, wishing their name to be remembered for years.’ To which my justification is - Everyone has some weakness this is mine, social is my weakness; and I’m a fool out here admitting it here on a public blog.

Plus, this quote of Albert Einstein makes me feel okay about it
“Never memorise what you can look up in a book.”



How do you feel when you understand something which has been out of your understanding for years? You feel like on the top of the world. It always happens with me in the case of ACCOUNTANCY. Whenever I think “I’ve got all my concepts clear,” “I know the basics well,” “Ask me any question and I’ll answer,” I get a reality check. Someone out of nowhere would ask me such a question that I return to square one. And when I believe that I don’t know it well I score well.


After all this, one thing in which I have been lucky is the ‘Additional subjects.’ It happened in the 9th standard, for the first time. I had opted for an additional subject. You don’t attend classes and just have to appear in the final exam of an additional subject. So, I asked my friend to tell me roughly about the concepts which are important from the exam point of view. It came out that I scored pretty well in the exam, better than the regular students of that subject and better than even my ‘teacher’. (I don’t believe in giving credit to others like I won’t say that she taught me well enough to score that good)

In another case (12th standard), I took physical education as an additional subject because I was sure about my poor mathematical skills. But I never appeared for the practical of Physical education, except for the finals. (In this way, I neither took mathematics seriously as I knew how terrible I was at it and relied on my score in physical education, but then nor did I took Physical Education seriously being an additional subject.) Ironically, I was given the same assessment as the students who attended the practical.


Hopefully, some day in my life I would proudly say that I’m not that bad in these subjects. I’m not saying I want to be all good in these subjects, but an average or something near average would do. Any teacher? (Don’t worry, I won’t abstain you from taking the credit) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Of food and meal choices

Cricket diaries