Today is my Happy Birthday!

The little kid is jumping around in excitement of the up and coming birthday; though it is still one month far. Butterflies have started flying in the stomach. But as one grows up, excitement level dips down year by year. (At least in my case) Soon the fact starts bothering you that ‘The Number’ called AGE is increasing.

In the initial years, birthdays are more about the excited parents than the birthday kid itself. Lately, it was my nephew’s birthday. His mom was so excited and handed over the decorating material to me. 
When we were finished with the decorating part, my nephew, who is just one year old, came and attacked the frills and ended up tearing them (Our efforts and hearts tore apart as well). It was just a regular day for him where he was just toying with the regular stuff and on seeing colours he tried to grab them all.
 Aforementioned, when I was a kid even I used to say, excitedly, every-person-possible that it is my birthday today and in return, they would offer me chocolates and I took them delightfully. (It was my hidden motive after all). After coming back home, the elderly would advise me to not do this in future. Now it is a different thing that I won’t let their advice to affect me in any way.

After some years, I stopped going to school on my birthday. I mean, it doesn't sound sensible that you went to school/college on your birthday (dressed tip-top) and spent half of D-Day studying/attending lectures. So, no matter, how persistently my friends insist me to come, I just don’t land up there.

One such birthday, my friends, who are in some other college, planned to surprise me (with a full proof plan). They made my classmate call me to confirm that I was not coming. They, somehow, got my dad’s number and re-confirmed; And finally knocked my door with a cake and a birthday cap - my favourite character printed on it.


On this same birthday, my siblings planned to gift me a dress. (Note: this is a big deal as we ‘never’ perform such formalities on each others’ birthdays) I was so sceptical that I repeatedly asked them if they bought it for themselves or they actually brought it for me.



P.S. You know how happy your birthday is going to be when you wake up early (before 10 AM, it is early) because of the endless ringing of the phone (deliberately done) due to phone calls from friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Of food and meal choices

Cricket diaries