Stupidities on Call

I'm not much of a person who would like to be on phone calls for long. In light of my preference, a memoir of some notable on-call incidents is presented to you.

Alphabets can be quite phonic over the call. Suppose, you are saying N but the receiver might hear M. A common practice is to give the other person a word starting with that particular letter. 

There I was trying to keep the error to a minimum. "It is spelt as B-L-O-G. B for Bag, L for Lovely, O for Ox and G for... Uh... G for... Umm." Thankfully, she got that letter anyway. But how could've I let myself sneak out so gently? I made a fool of myself. I ended up speaking out aloud, "G for Grey. Yeah. Yeah. G for grey." 

Unfortunately, my job is also of such nature that I have to take and make several calls during the day. So, I have devised pet lines to greet everyone and ask how they're, respond back to them and then start the business. 

Source: Amazon

Once it so happened that I was so occupied with the actual task that I didn't pay much attention to the fact that other person asked me back if I'm well or not. I just asked for their well being and automatically replied, "I'm also fine," only to regret it a moment later.

After revealing all this, it wouldn't be surprising to say that I tend to keep (professional) calls brief and crisp. On getting a call once, I provided the required information. When I was about to cut the call I thought I heard the other person say something. So I put the phone back to my ear and asked him. He repeated his question and I repeated my answer. No further clarifications. The call ended awkwardly. 

I might be attentive and alert. Not all are. It might happen that you suddenly remembered another thing to be asked after formally saying the call ending words. Imagine, all this while, there is another person also sitting before you. In such a situation, when I try to convey the message during the same call but the other person cuts the call mid-way, to save myself from embarrassment I act like the call is still continuing. I complete my sentence and then say the bidding words. 

Plot twist: What if the phone rings again while I'm acting like being on a call?


Have you ever come across such people who just get strangely silent in between a call? I wonder if such people are routine, but I find it a little weird. I mean, I don't know if I should give another person the chance to think or not. How long is enough? In the end, bye seems a bit much after a complete silence and ending it just like that would be plainly arrogant. 

Engaging in long calls is just not my thing. In the normal course of life, I don't face any problem. But if I talk for a longer spell on call, I feel harshness in my throat. Something that tones down with a gulp of water but only to come back after a few seconds, making me wind up within minutes.

Sometimes I wish the other person doesn't pick up the call so that I wouldn't have to talk. Or the evil me cuts the call on my own after a few rings. Implying I didn't give them enough chance to attend the call and engage in a conversation. Formality is the necessity of professional life.

However, as I'm growing up, getting busier and becoming health conscious day by day, I sort of learned that calling is easier than texting. Neither communication gaps. Nor much effort or say finger-movement test. And even saves time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Of food and meal choices

Cricket diaries