Bullet Speaking

Confession: Trust me, when I came up with this edgy, or say, eye-catching title, I felt like it is clickbait. Just like those videos on Youtube wherein the content has no connection with the caption. It is there merely to attract the masses. By bullet, I related it to the 'Bullet train' concept. As in, speaking at the speed of a bullet.

We siblings are told from childhood that we speak fast. They call it is in our heredity. That our father also speaks at a faster pace. However, I never really found his speed more than usual. In fact, I find him a little bit on the slower side.

But his next-generation sure speaks faster. I know it is a trait to be worked upon. People who process slowly find it difficult to understand the fast stream of words. They would request to repeat the sentence or simply ask to speak slowly. 

I remember I participated in a reading contest  8th or 9th standard. On my turn, I went and read out a whole piece of paper just within a few minutes. The supervising teacher couldn't help but say, "You read out like a train"; one of the students said, "We didn't understand anything."


It was like a day of revelation for me. Before that, I was unaware of this fact. I used to be confident of the fact that I could speak all the words with no difficulty.

Another realisation dawned upon me in later years that I'm not good at storytelling either. I just don't possess the art of patiently narrating anecdotes. I mar the joy of incidents and ruin the fun of jokes while telling them. I am in so much hurry that I run out of words. The skill of taking pause at the right moment is elusive, neither letting others get much time to absorb the content nor letting my mind select appropriate words.

It happens sometimes on an audio call that I can't understand what I just said. It sounds almost gibberish. Like, had I been in the place of the listener, even I wouldn't have figured out all the said words.

The other day, I was narrating a recent incident to an immediate person. She interjected, saying, "Be calm. Don't worry. Slow down. It happens." I was clueless. Why is she trying to pacify me when I am totally fine? Then I thought my excitement pace could've made me sound like I'm agitated.

I don't remember distinctly but I think once or so, I found myself panting upon completing a sentence. As if one forgot to take a breath in between the words. 

I am not sure if this issue of my speech rate persists in my mental world only or is widely known. But it has led to some loss of confidence in public speaking. It is surprising because, in my college times, I was the friend whom you push forward when you have a point that has to be brought to the notice of the teacher. 

Oh God! I've never written such a self-deprecating post. Enough words have been put in this post already. I should stop now.

Self-assurance: I did secure a position in another reading contest a year or two later. Learning from mistakes is the key.

PS Vir Das (Comedian) also speaks very fast at times that one may find his videos more suitable at 0.75x speed.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Of food and meal choices

Cricket diaries