Young impressionable minds

I've second thoughts if I should write a post surrounding the theme again. I've realised that about half a dozen posts have already been published on this blog about how kids behave, what we used to be like as kids, how my nephew has been and what-not. Anyway, setting the inhibitions aside and letting the thoughts flow.

One thing is certain that young minds are very impressionable. Rarely do they have very strong feelings of their own and hence, we, as kids, are always looking for some inspiration to draw from. 

So, as a kid, I didn't know what I wanted to do in my life or what my aim was? (Well, I took pretty long to figure it out; I was clueless even as a teenager.)
Upon being asked, "What do you want to do? I once told, "I wanna go abroad." Because I had heard my sibling saying that she wanted to go abroad. 
"Where exactly in abroad?" 
"Abroad." 
It was the only word that I knew; being as careless as kids are I never tried to look out for the meaning of the word. I thought of it as a proper noun, like a country in itself.

For years, I believed that I hated the cream of the milk. I had seen my sisters almost throwing up on accidentally gulping it down. Thus, I pretended to dislike it as much. 

Every time I had to fill the space with the name of the favourite hero, I would mindlessly write the name of the same hero as my other counterparts would have. A romantic hero at that.
Imagine a hero who is acclaimed for his romantic movies being a favourite of a child. I admit I liked some other actor earlier, but as far as I remember it must have stayed at that spot for a year or less. Call it the rising popularity of the former or imprints left on my mind.


That was all about my impressionable days, now I can see how knowingly or unknowingly I'm leaving a little bit of impact, if not much, on younger ones. Sometimes, it makes me feel responsible by behaving properly. It is rightly said that kids are in a way your reflection. They notice every little action and words of yours and in their eyes, it is the only right way of doing things (Of course, the second-most right way of doing things, first being their school teacher's way.) 

I taught my nieces to make a face by sticking out their tongues and moving their hands to tease. On similar lines, I can see my nephew using the same language, to tease me as well as others, which I use to tease him. I don't I think I do mind how he calls us the same names. Hence, the only option left is to better keep a check on myself.

The other day, I wore my winter gloves at home because my hands are most affected in cold. On seeing me, my nephew turned to his mother immediately asking for his gloves. Upon asking him the reason he replied, "I'm also feeling very cold." On coming back from vacation, his gloves were nowhere to be seen. He had completely forgotten about the so-called 'cold'.

Summing it up with this blogging thing which has inspired a few people to write a blog of their own and I can see a bit of my writing style in it. Because I guess I'm the only blogger (better or worse) in their circle in these times of Vlogging. 

One thing I want to share with you is earlier I started this blog with the hope that many people would read it. Gradually, almost negligible views stopped bothering me and now, I write for myself as a journal. 
So, if you intend to pursue it, then be realistic in your expectations. If success comes, well and good. If it doesn't don't get too bogged down by it. 

Keep on moving. Find your peace. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Of food and meal choices

Cricket diaries