Paternity Leave

Normally, I don’t take up topical issues as the subject of my blog posts.

Because, usually, I don’t have very strong opinions and even if I do, I don’t want to get involved in mud-slinging. Why disturb personal equation with anyone over third party issues? I would simply nod away on debatable issues, without even letting the other party take any hint of my disagreement. 

So, when I was scrolling through the news feed of a prominent site, this issue kept resurfacing after a day or two, creating buzz time and again.
Scratching your brains as to what could be the path-breaking news story that made me make mention of it here?

Farmers protest? Maybe but enough is being said about it - in media, on social media, in half-page newspaper editorials and where not? Also, given the fact that I’m a staunch (P)Modi-hater, even if I take it up, it would be too one-sided, tilted in the favour of farmers, obviously.

Disclaimer for what lies ahead: It’s not fandom that’s speaking. For I’m not a fan of either the sport or the cricketer or the actress concerned.

The issue is ‘Paternity Leave’ hullabaloo over the topmost cricketer of this generation. And how another prominent cricketer of olden days is criticising his decision to take such leave during the ongoing test series.


While several people may have already shared their views in various lights. My boil-point was that if a woman, who is also working in a very competitive industry, has to take a break from her career for a few days months to give birth to a new life, then why can’t her husband take leave of half month to accompany her in this phase of their life.

Critics are making a cricket match/series look like an important-to-death event, comparing it to national duty, which an individual can‘t opt to leave mid-way.

What if the roles of biology were reversed? What if the man himself had to deliver the baby? Had he been on so-called "National Duty" at that time, he would have taken leave then also. For god’s sake, if the thinking of some men of this patriarchal society is changing - let them be. If nothing else, let us not shame them or make them feel guilty for their action.

I know I only added more limelight to the already much talked about sport and much talked about couple.

I remember a few years back, similar controversy surrounded the same couple. Back then, CBSE took note of it and put a question on it in the board examination, 'Should wives and girlfriends be allowed in so-and-so event of cricket playing officials?

I admit some (or even high level) discrimination may be going on in inner circles of the sport, but if you really want to stop it then address it directly. Why take shelter of some appreciable gesture?

Thanks for reading out my rant.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Of food and meal choices

Cricket diaries