Half Truth (I guess!)

Initially, I was going to start this post with “Half Truth is Dangerous than a complete lie” but then I googled the quote and it turned out to be something else than what I had expected. A few of the incidents fall into this category and others remotely fall into this category. Now I don’t know how to start it. Let’s leave it up to you to figure out what it is.


When I was a kid, I used to have this friend of mine who would lie often. But because I was a kid and she was my ‘friend’ I didn’t want to admit the 'liar' tag; so I would believe her most of the times. Once she told me that if you take the slightly hard part of the Gulab Jamun (which is its core) and keep it in a refrigerator for 2-3 days then it converts itself into candies. I was so excited to do it. The next time when we brought Gulab Jamuns to our home, I immediately told my mom about this fact and asked her to do the same. She denied it outright. But I still had a hope in my heart; Kids are kids (No Brand Promotions).


The other time, the two of us, along with another friend, were sitting under the tree. Suddenly, the third one said that she saw some face on the tree (probably of a girl) which was making some horrible actions. We ran with the speed of lightning. For weeks, both of us couldn’t dare to go near that haunted tree again. Once, we went to the same place with one of our elders, who upon listening to the ‘story’ made us go near the tree and touch it and thus ending all our fears.


Also, I used to get confused as to how a hero who died in the last movie could be alive again in their next. It was only after the truth dawned upon me that they were actors.


I’m sure most of you would join me on this one. All of us have heard the statement “A guy and a girl can’t be friends” which people (read media) often use to instate a relationship but what they miss out on is firstly it’s a quote by Shakespeare and secondly it misses out one of the important words of this quote which goes like “A Boy and a Girl can never be (presuming best) friends forever,” which means that they’ll either fall in love or break off their friendship. So, I guess this proves the fact that a girl and a guy can be friends.


Another one which I must have heard thrice or so is that we use only one-tenth part of our brain; I would get bothered remembering the times when my brain used to reach its saturation levels due to large chunks of information being absorbed (or say rote).

Even a Hollywood movie was filmed after this concept. After googling, I substantiated my concern as I found out that it’s not one-tenth of our brain but one-tenth of our brain potential which means when we are just reading a book, sitting still, we have the potential of moving our leg, hand etc. but we aren’t moving it. In a way, it is not completely occupied and has the potential to do many other functions which may not be required at a particular moment that's why just one-tenth usage.



Then there was this illusion of a spinning girl



where some people see a girl spinning clockwise and some anti-clockwise, at the same point of time. When we showed it to mom she said, “Are you blind can’t you see that the girl is spinning in _____ direction.” (Filling the blank with the direction she is seeing the girl spinning) What she didn’t know was that it’s been made that way that it works on certain factors due to which everyone sees it in their own way.


This year, I and dad went to an art exhibition. Talking to the artist he said, pointing to me, out of nowhere, “Even she draws well.” You don’t talk about ‘such’ drawings in front of artistic people on their exhibitions. This led to the inquisitive artist asking (the clueless) me ‘my type’ of drawing. I couldn’t say, “I don’t have a type I just draw it out some turn out to be funny and some artistic,” so I just played out the question. Point to be noted here is: My dad, the revealer of the so-called truth, didn’t even once see my drawing book seriously.


So, that is how things become when you just have partial knowledge of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing forgetfulness

To: First Benchers

Being unaware