Renovation Diaries

The doorbell rung.

Just as I opened the door, there was a man standing there, holding a paper in his hand. Just as I moved further he handed over that paper to me and moved to the next house. To check what it was, I read it which was some list of constructional work along with the time allotted for its completion. Later on, when dad saw it he told us that it is for the upcoming renovation to be done on our house.


On hearing this word ‘renovation,’ I got excited; imagining our home in a whole new look, new tiles, new cupboards and all the stuff. I hoped that there would be newness in this monotonous life of mine.


Weeks passed. Slowly, the renovation process caught pace and the stories I got to hear from other people, the difficulties it was causing to them, the manner in which the work was getting done, I started wishing that it reaches us as late as possible (if possible, it doesn’t reach us at all). We even considered going to a rented house, at least, until the renovation work gets over… but with no result.

Then to feel good, I thought that people usually have problems with those things which otherwise are ignorable or are not that difficult to tide over. I thought that they must be creating a fuss over nothing.


Renovation work was going to knock down on our door soon. Instead of feeling like cringing (in advance), I suddenly found the whole idea adventurous; Adventure - not in living in a house after the renovation period is over but in a house when it is being renovated. The first day passed, filled with - a little excitement (of watching the destroyed parts of the house), a little starvation, a little irritation, with dirt in the air and everywhere.

Look! What they did to our house :(

Two days later was my birthday. I was checking out messages from my friends who were wishing me in the best possible way and what I get to hear from my mom in the background is that renovators were coming in a minute or so for renovating our house. She was asking me to move hurriedly as we had to shift the furniture.

The day was as chaotic as hell (What if even the hell is organised ;) ) My back almost broke doing on-the-spot shifting of furniture and it never felt like it’s my birthday - the supposed to be the best day of the year. It was only after that day’s work getting over that we got to eat some delicious food (which worked as a reminder of D-day) along with some mood lifting songs that it compensated for the whole day.


Since that day to today, the thing called order of things is totally absent from our house. Just like the pre-renovation period where my mind was confused as to this period is going to be the difficult one or something different/adventurous to go through, my feelings are still the same. 

Some day we, all the family members, sleep in only one room beds aligned close to each other making up a proximate environment. Some other day, this proximity of things works up to make things hard. Finding the littlest of things becomes such a big task, leaving the person frustrated. God knows when this will get over as now it has led us into extreme situations leaving us deprived of the necessities as basic as water and space.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Of food and meal choices

Cricket diaries