Words that matter

“Say ‘Thank You’ whenever someone helps you.” One of the basic lessons which everyone has learned in the school. There are some words which if not uttered will not affect, but sheer utterance can make a difference. Greeting is a gesture that can bring smile on the others' face and does not cost you anything (except setting aside your ego).

Once I was in a shop and was waiting for my turn, a guy in a white coat (probably a doctor) bought what he wanted, paid the bill and went to his vehicle. 
After a moment, he came back and said “Thank You” to the shopkeeper and returned back. He would have made it a usual routine, after seeing such expressions on the faces of people which I saw that day on the face of shopkeeper. Amidst all his busy and tiresome day, he smiled and welcomed the guy. May be I am exaggerating but it’s a writer’s thing. Isn't it?


Similarly, on your birthday what you crave for is greetings and when it comes from a least expected person it means a little more. ||Barring Floods of birthday wishes on Facebook wall|| 

There used to be this girl in my class with whom my communication was limited and a few days before my birthday she wished me saying it’s your birthday on so-and-so-day and I was pleasantly surprised.

Diwali was the last festival and one acquaintance of my dad sent a postcard to us. It is not the postcard which has ‘Happy Diwali’ written on it with colourful sketch pens but the feelings of that person that matter. He has been doing this for many years and there has not been one single year when he skipped this ‘ritual’.

Sometimes, your work is such that you in course help people (say Doctor). One such person helped an uncle while performing the job. And that uncle came up with a packet of chips and a cold drink in return. (Now I don’t mean that you should go up to the person with this kind of perks).



Self Praise Mode ON: I put my foot forward to thank a person who helped me a few minutes ago and his mood was not so good at that moment. When I said “Thank you” to him his expression changed to somewhat normal and he started sharing the reason behind his pissed mood. I was nodding my head as it was making him feel relaxed (or at least I would like to assume that he was feeling relaxed).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: First Benchers

Of food and meal choices

Cricket diaries